[afnog] Ku-band that is good for west African - Nigeria

Paul pademmy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 23:13:24 EAT 2005

Hello,
Thanks for ur mail and advance on this issue.
I wil appreciate if guys keep me posted on The AMC-12 specs indicate 3dB G/T and 42dBW ku-band stuff.
Thanks,
AJ

"Steven G. Huter" <sghuter at nsrc.org> wrote: > Pls I need your advice on the best ku-band vsat satellite system dat is
> good for west african - especially nigeria.
> Again which footprint is the best among intelsat , shiron, panamsat and
> gilat?.

Hello Paul,

In addition to Sunday's excellent summary about Ku band and rain fade
issues, etc...

You may find it helpful to keep an eye on the AMC-12. It is scheduled to
launch February 3 of this year, and if all goes well, is scheduled to be
operational at the end of March. It looks like it may have the best
footprint among the various options that you have mentioned.

The AMC-12 specs indicate 3dB G/T and 42dBW over Nigeria. This means
that the antennas can most likely be kept to 1.2m and 2W BUC's for a 512K
duplex carrier. So if the launch and testing phase go well, it could
provide good coverage, and be a cost effective option to check out.

http://www.ses-americom.com/pdfs/amc-12_2005.pdf

Steve Huter