[AfNOG] Free Windows Based Cascading Proxy

William Stucke William at zanet.co.za
Mon Feb 28 12:11:36 EAT 2005

Hi Alamicha,

We use ProxyPlus - http://www.proxyplus.net/

A great product, that does most of what one needs for a small LAN connecting
via a dial-up or similar connection. There is a free version, for up to 3
email accounts and 2 simultaneous users. Unfortunately, the free version
only has a feeble 1 MB cache. There are 5, 10, and unlimited user versions
available, for $100, $200 and $300, respectively. These will handle a 10,000
MB cache.

Also acts as a local mail server and as a firewall. Good product for up to
50 users. Very easy to manage, via a web interface. Doesn’t need a dedicated
machine. Can run on any workstation with an Internet connection. Cascades up
and down, typically on port 3130 (same as Squid)

<plug> BTW, ZAnet are the SA agents for ProxyPlus </plug>

If you only want a pure Web Proxy, on Windows, what about SquidNT? Free,
works (last time I tested it) and handles an effectively unlimited cache
size. Has almost all of the functionality of the standard Squid. Currently
Squid 2.5 is available, so it can’t be too bad ;-) Runs fine on W2K, but
really needs a server-class machine for decent performance (which might well
not be an issue for your smaller LANs)

Of course, Squid is a little harder to set up - but not that hard.

HTH.

Kind regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd