[afnog] PIX VPN & Backup Link Issues

Bernard Wanyama bwanyama at linuxsolutions.co.ug
Tue Feb 22 13:59:34 EAT 2005

Hi All,

I have got a challenging scenario on my hands.

Presently, I have a Cisco PIX doing an IPSec VPN with a remote
business partner.
The PIX is located on a /29 subnet provided by ISP A.

I now need to bring in a backup link from a second ISP, ISP B to cover
me in case the main link fails.

Here is my ASCII network diagram

212.x.x.x/30        193.x.x.x/29               192.168.x.x/24

Primary   +--------+             +------+         +--------+
Link via  | Cisco  |             |Cisco |         |  LAN   | LAN PCs
 ---------| 2620   |-------------|PIX   |---------| Switch |--------
ISP A     |        |             |      |         |        |
          +---+----+             +------+         +--------+

              |Proposed
              |Backup Link
              |via ISP B

          81.x.x.x/30

The question is, what is the easiest way of ensuring that traffic to
my /29 subnet is routed back in case the primary link is down and I've
engaged the backup link via ISP B.

Remember that the /29 was obtained from ISP A. I also do not want to
run BGP just yet.

TIA,

--
Bernard Wanyama