[afnog] Secure pop3

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Feb 15 14:46:06 EAT 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:52:56PM +0200, David Chima wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to run a secure pop3 between my server and client workstation where I collect my mail. I tried to
> follow what is here http://linuxdocs.org/sln/pop3s/ but it seems I have some problems to get mail on my
> workstation. Is there anyone who knows how this is easily done?

That document shows how to install 'stunnel', which is a pretty good way of
doing it. It assumes you're using Red Hat's ipop3d daemon (are you?)

Otherwise, some pop3 daemons have built-in SSL support which you can turn on
(courier-imap being one of those). So, the solution depends on which pop3
daemon you're running.

If you're running Red Hat's ipop3d, then show why you think it's not
working.

You can test it like this:

  $ openssl s_client -connect localhost:995

and see if you get an '+OK' response. You can also drive pop3 manually
through SSL, e.g. by entering 'USER username', 'PASS password' etc.