[afnog] Exim Installation on Solaris 9

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Feb 13 09:47:00 EAT 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:32:45AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2005 09:25, Emmanuel Odoom wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi.
>

> > ld.so.1: ./exim: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or
> > directory
>
> Looks like you might need OpenSSL and its development/header files installed,
> and in your $PATH for Exim to find while installing.

Almost, but not quite.

The libraries and headers were found when building (so therefore they are
installed), but not when doing a test run of exim.

There are several workarounds, but probably the best is this:

* find where your libssl.so.0.9.7 file is - for example, it might be in
/usr/local/ssl/lib (I don't have a Solaris box handy to check)

* use 'man crle' for the program to configure your run-time library search
path. If I remember rightly, the command is something like

   # crle -l /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/ssl/lib

but CHECK THE MAN PAGE FIRST in case I've got the wrong flag there.

This is the best fix because the linker will _always_ be able to find the
libraries in future. Don't try messing with LD_LIBRARY_PATH because you'd
have to set it every time you start up exim.