[afnog] Re: Fw: Domain Object

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 09:46:09 EAT 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:33:10AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:42:03AM +0100,
>  Joe Ndidi Onwubuya <ndidi at cybaaspace.net> wrote
>  a message of 127 lines which said:
>
> > Find below the corrections sent to auto-dbm at ripe.net.
> > Any suggestions on the way forward?.
>
> Why asking on the list when you can easily test yourself:

I think the main problem at the moment is no reply from the auto-dbm robot.
Joe, did you get anything back yet?

If not, then you should try to identify the message in your mail logs. See
if it was successfully delivered to ripe.net, or whether it's sitting in
your queue.

Also, check that the envelope sender (MAIL FROM) that you are sending with
is valid. If it isn't, then the RIPE mailserver will reject your mail; and
if your mail has gone via an intermediate mail relay, then you won't see the
bounce if your return address is invalid.

$ telnet postman.ripe.net 25
Trying 193.0.0.199...
Connected to postman.ripe.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 postman.ripe.net ESMTP Postfix
ehlo wombat
250-postman.ripe.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-XVERP
250 8BITMIME
mail from:<sdfsdfdsf at kjnkjnkjnkjn>
250 Ok
rcpt to:<auto-dbm at ripe.net>
450 <sdfsdfdsf at kjnkjnkjnkjn>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found

Actually, RIPE is giving a temporary error (450), so the message should sit
in a mail queue somewhere for a week or so before being thrown away. So if
this is the problem, then you can probably find the mail and the
corresponding log entries.