[afnog] Help!!!

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Feb 1 11:10:33 EAT 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:53:47AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > $TTL 86400
>
> while i agree with the hack, i must note it goes against a
> principle of programming language design not to have comments
> affect the semantics of a program.  but i guess you could
> consider it a macro or something.  after all, this is bind,
> where one holds one's nose throughout.

I don't see $ lines as comments - more like compiler directives, setting
global variables to be used when subsequent lines are parsed.

The idea of defaults carrying forward from one line to another in BIND zone
files is pretty pervasive:

foo	MX 10	mail1.bar.com.
	MX 20	mail2.bar.com.
	A	192.0.2.1

so it at least fits in with the philosophy (whether or not it was well
designed in the first place is another matter)

> > www           86400   IN      A       192.2.0.1
>
> while this is also correct, i would note that i have bad eyes
> and like things to be very minimal.  so i do the $TTL hack as
> you suggest, but also always omit the IN.  so i have
>
>   www             A       192.2.0.1

Yes, agreed. Was just trying to keep the example as close as possible to the
originally posted zone file.