[afnog] Help!!!

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Feb 1 08:22:29 EAT 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:35:13AM +0100, Joe Ndidi Onwubuya wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Find below the amended sample of the TTL
>
> ;
> ; Zone data for domain 'cybaaspace.net'
> ;
> @       IN      SOA     cybaaspace.net. hostmaster.cybaaspace.net.  (
>                                      2005012802    ; Serial
>  host       IN      rrtype    86400             ; Data
>                                      28800              ; Refresh
>                                      14400              ; Retry
>                                      3600000          ; Expire
>                                      86400 )            ; Minimum
>                IN      NS      ns.cybaaspace.net.
>                IN      NS      ns.skannet.com.
>                IN      NS      ns1.cybaaspace.net.
>
> Please confirm that it is OK.
>
> thanks
> Joe

No, you've now corrupted your file. Put it back how it was, and then do what
I suggested originally, which is to add

$TTL 86400

as the very first line of the file.

What I was trying to say was, if you want to put a TTL on a resource record,
you stick it after the hostname and before the class (IN) and resource
record type (A, MX, NS etc). So an example of a resource record with a TTL
explicitly given would be

www		86400	IN	A	192.2.0.1

So where I wrote 'host' I meant 'whatever hostname the resource record is
for', where I wrote 'rrtype' I meant 'A or MX or NS etc'

And as I said before: to avoid putting an explicit TTL on every resource
record like this, then just set the default using $TTL.