[afnog] Vpopmail + Exim

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Dec 12 13:44:27 EAT 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 12:14:41PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Any links on Vpopmail + Exim? I seem to keep coming across
> Vpopmail + Qmail/Postfix only. But I'll keep digging...

I can offer you a few indirect options:

(1) You can install courier-authlib, build it with the authvchkpw module
(which talks to vpopmail), and then send queries to authdaemond's socket
from exim using ${readsocket}. You can find an example in the exim mailing
list archives, or I can dig the relevant bit of config out of Linnet's exim
configuration.

(2) Recent version of Exim can link against any C program you build as a .so
shared library. See ${dlfunc} in the exim documentation.

This means that with a little wrapping work, you can add extra functions to
exim which invoke functions in libvpopmail to perform lookups. Some C
knowledge required though, plus learning the libvpopmail API.

(3) You can run any external program using ${run}. So if there's a
command-line tool which does the query you want, you can invoke it from exim
and extract the response. This is a bit less efficient of course, with an
extra fork/exec for each lookup, but it may be good enough for your
application.

(4) Depending on how vpopmail is configured, you can get exim to lookup
directly in its underlying data source. For example, if vpopmail is using
mysql as its backend, exim can lookup in the same mysql table. If vpopmail
is using a .dbm file, then use ${lookup ... dbm} or ${lookup ... dbmnz}