[afnog] Network monitoring tool

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Wed Dec 7 12:59:20 EAT 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:51:51AM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:

> Be aware that Nagios is (or was when I last tried) an utter pig to
> configure. I tried it at the Afnog w/s one year, and failed completely to
> make it work.

	It's true the configuration is very
	verbose, but it has template definition and reuse, multi-service
	definition (so you can define one service check and say it applies
	to all hosts for a given hostgroup).  But yes, I agree, it's not
	as simple as running a shellscript from cron doing "ping".

> But it seems to be what most people use, so it's probably
> worth persevering with and joining a mailing list if necessary.

	Or ask here.  I can definitely give advice on proper configuration.

	It also has a number of built-in reporting tools for producing
	simple SLAa that are worth it.