[afnog] IXP establishment

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Aug 29 21:16:05 EAT 2005

    > Is 24 hour access to the IXP housing required?

Typically, yes, though sometimes the access procedures can be fairly
ad-hoc, when outside of "regular business hours."  The best way, of
course, is to not have individual ISPs needing any access to the IX switch
itself...  that is, keep the IX switch in its own facility, interconnected
with each of the individual ISPs' equipment through crossconnects to
separate spaces (cages or racks or rooms) each under their own control.
Failing that, if everything needs to be in a shared space for some reason,
having a trusted group of people who help administer the IX, and each have
a key, is usually sufficient.  If there are three or four people,
typically one of them will be available to let someone in and supervise
them, at any given time.

    > When is access required, what are the policies on access to the
    > room?

Typically out-of-hours access at smaller IXPs is assumed to be for dealing
with network-down emergencies.  At big IXPs, routine maintenance would
often be done in the middle of the night.  Obviously, no one should have
access unless they're an actual participant at the exchange, or the
designated representative of a participant.  Again, ideally, you don't
want participants to ever have to go near the switch itself.  Much more
reliable if people don't go poking at the switch itself, but just mess
with their own equipment.

    > Also consider security issues on 24hr access.

Security isn't really time-of-day dependent.

    > This is one of the issues that we are trying to resolve in Malawi,
    > we are trying to establish an IXP. We need more light on this,
    > please help.

I don't know whether you know of our organization already...  Packet
Clearing House is a not-for-profit voluntary organization, founded by
Internet Service Providers, for the purpose of helping IXPs.  For a
properly-constituted exchange, we can provide all of the necessary
equipment, as well as training and organizational assistance.  You can
take a look at our web site at http://www.pch.net.  Please let us know if
we can provide any equipment or assistance for your effort.

                                -Bill