[afnog] helpdesk and network management system

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Aug 19 19:21:19 EAT 2005

      On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Randy Bush wrote:
    > nocol lasted for about two months at the nascent verio.  nagios is
    > what is taught at afnog workshops, and seems to scale pretty well.
    > on the helpdesk side, i use rt for ticketing.

Exactly the same here...  Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s we wrote
our own tools, then tried most of the different open-source ones, and at
this point we've been settled on Nagios and RT, with slight modifications,
for quite a while.  But it's always worth keeping an eye on new tools as
they come out.  Smokeping is also a useful one for NOC folks to keep an
eye on the more general state of network health.

                                -Bill