[afnog] Need Help - grep: /proc/cmdline: no such file or directory

Emmanuel Togo ematogo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 15:54:58 EAT 2005

On 8/17/05, Ayitey Bulley <abulley at ghana.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > /proc is not a real filesystem, it's generated by the kernel containing
> > information about currently active processes, files, devices etc.
> >

> Ack
>
> > So I think M<'s advice is good: first thing is to boot from a recovery CD,
> > look at /etc/fstab or equivalent on the target system, and see if it's
> > broken.
> >

> Reading Emmanuels mail I assumed he had already been thru the recovery/rescue
> stuff see extract of the mail below
>
> >> I tried to use RESCUE MODE from the boot CD, and I can get to a shell, but
> >> don`t know how to correct this once I get there.  I checked the /etc/fstab
> >> and it looks perfectly normal.  I just don`t get it.  It`s on a UPS
> >> but it`s still possible this was all started by a powersurge or
> >> something.   I just need some way to
> >> get it to work!  I`d appreciate any advice.
>
> I had a similar problem on a test machine running rhel3, and I recovered from
> the boot error by re-installing and preserving the data on the partition, I
> am sure that was not necessarily the best option, but it worked, and I did
> not lose anything.

re-installing and preserving the data on the partition worked. My
system is up and running now with all the data intact. Thank you very
much Mr. Ayitey. Am most greatful.

Emmanuel

> > /proc isn't a real directory, so there's no performance issue. Only an
> > empty /proc filesystem needs to exist in the root filesystem; you then
> > mount the virtual 'proc' filesystem on top of that.
> >

> How would you go about re-creating the proc filesystem after booting from a
> rescue cd/boot cd with "linux rescue", chroot /mnt/sysimage, etc etc.

It will be interesting to know how to re-creat the proc filesystem
after booting form rescue cd "linux rescue", chroot /mnt/sysimage
without having to reinstall the system.

Emmanuel