[afnog] Cisco 1605-R Router problem !

Alamicha Chapuma achapuma at eomw.net
Fri Oct 22 12:08:24 EAT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Candler" <B.Candler at pobox.com>
To: "Alamicha Chapuma" <achapuma at eomw.net>
Cc: <afnog at afnog.org>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [afnog] Cisco 1605-R Router problem !

| On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:47:00AM +0200, Alamicha Chapuma wrote:
| > The sites which loose connectivity are the Breezcom ones.  They are on a
| > 172.16.1.x   network while the others are on a 172.30.x.x network.
|
| Does that mean you are overlaying two IP ranges on the same physical
network
| (the Cisco has 'ip address 172.16.1.1' and 'ip address 172.30.1.1
| secondary')?

No.  The cisco has an ip of 172.16.1.1 and mask 255.240.0.0 so it can talk
to a wide range of hosts.  However, the standard configuration we have is
that the client sites are set with the SUs on a 172.16.1.x   ip address.
The 172.30.x.x  sites go through an access point which acts as a router and
has an interface set to 172.16.1.20.

| Or are the wireless access points also routers, and the Cisco has static
| routes to your clients, with the access points as the next hop?

The client sites have a router or routing server so the traffic is from the
cisco 1605 to these.

| In the first case, your Cisco ARP cache will contain the IP addresses of
| each of the clients. In the second, your Cisco ARP cache will contain only
| the IP addresses of the wireless access points.

The arp cache lists the 172.16.x.x   addresses of the devices it talks to
(routers including the 172.16.x.x  address of the 172.30.x.x  access point).

| > Some one has suggested ip route-cache on the problem interface.  We will
be
| > looking into this.
|
| That's possible (I include that under category "router software bug").
I've