[afnog] Bandwidth measurement

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Nov 29 13:24:36 EAT 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Phil Regnauld wrote:
: On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 08:08:38PM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:
: > On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:09:05PM +0200, Antonio Godinho wrote:
: > > Thanks Brian. I think that is bing works, right?
: >
: > Dunno, haven't used it. I prefer simple tools that are easy to understand -
: > and a straightforward measurement of RTT is about as simple as you can get.
:
: 	That's what bing does...
:
: "Bing determines the real (raw, as opposed to available or average)
: throughput on a link by measuring ICMP echo requests roundtrip times for
: different packet sizes for each end of the link."

That seems wierd since cisco (and most likely othere also) routers give
ICMP a medium priority.  If one of the routers is busy, and waits to
service the ICMP request, wouldn't that give a false measurement?

scott