[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group on Internet Governance

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sat Nov 20 14:31:33 EAT 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:13:56AM +0000, ALAIN PATRICK AINA wrote:
> One of our friends is proposing, that we allocate IPv6 per country. If this is
> accepted, it can help build national backbones.

How does numbering affect topology?

> And as we(developing
> countries) will not have ressources and time to manage our allocated block,
> we could ask our former "colons " to manage them for us.

The community has just built AfriNIC, surely you don't want to take their
job away? :-)

> If It arrives to interconnect  all of them we could build a new "Internet" and
> create a new ressources coordination center and authority.

There are parallel networks, like INTERNET2. Certainly you can build this
way, but as long as you get your IP addresses from *somewhere*, I don't see
what difference it makes whether they are allocated nationally, regionally
or centrally. And you still have to allocate addresses so they don't
conflict with the old Internet when you interconnect.

But most likely I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say.