[afnog] [Fwd: CTO SURVEY SEES DIFFICULTIES FOR CONSENSUS ON INTERNET GOVERNANCE]

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Nov 19 13:01:47 EAT 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 01:49:29PM +0100, americo at imit.kth.se wrote:
> Perhaps some of you might have seen this already. I just wanted to share
> given the recent posting on the same issue in this list.

It's interesting - thank you.

> From:    "CTO News" <newsletter at cto.int>
> the CTO is
> increasingly becoming recognised as a honest broker.

Slightly biased opinion, one presumes :-)

> The survey was conducted based on a formal questionnaire that posed some
> 25 questions to government ministers, other public servants from
> ministries, regulators, telephone company executives, and other ICT
> practitioners who had gathered in  Colombo, Sri Lanka, in September 2004,

Hopefully, ICT includes people who actually work in the Internet.

> 27% felt that the
> solution to eliminating cyber crime is technological, requiring users to
> acquire the necessary software to eliminate it.

Software which eliminates crime - now that I'd like to see. Microsoft
RoboCop?

[In case anyone hasn't seen the original film - the best bit is when RoboCop
wakes up after being rebuilt, and for a second or two you can see the C:\>
prompt while he reboots!]