[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group on InternetGovernance

Geoff Huston cidr-report at potaroo.net
Thu Nov 18 04:17:22 EAT 2004

At 12:04 AM 18/11/2004, Robert.Shaw at itu.int wrote:
>That may be the current state in Africa but clear trend is that
>there is less and less discernable difference between telcos and
>ISPs. Most argue there is no future in a pure telco or ISP play
>- only a broadband play with a bundled palette of services (of
>which voice is just one).

Although if you look at the revenue margins for various services you'd
wonder why anyone moves out of the mobile telephony market. IP over fixed
line appears to be one of the toughest telecommunications markets we've
seen for some  time, and the cost disciplines imposed by intense
competition are often  beyond the capabilities of many incumbent telco
operators. Which is why we see some of the pressure on national regulators
to create a slightly different balance within a national market, and
pressure at the international level to create a 'different' balance. In
this latter effort  the ITU becomes a vehicle  for the expression of the
interests of some of its member states in its  recommendations, while other
member states find such outcomes  regressive and inappropriate.

Now you could say that's international politics and commerce for you, and
the ITU simply can't fix that. Indeed the ITU is the way for nation states
to air these interests and reach compromises on the voting floor. Like any
compromise there are those who favour  the outcome and those who resent it.
The folk who feel that they are continually out-voted are stirring up this
issue and ignoring the case that the outcomes are the legitimate expression
of the interests of the bulk of the international community.

Or you could take the view that shoehorning the very real need
for  cooperation and coordination in telecommunications activities into a
venue mainly concerned with the advocacy of  starkly opposed interests
of  nation states is the very heart of the problem, and this mode of
interaction within the ITU venue emphasises a process where political
outcomes gain primacy over technical and/or end user considerations.

While the telco margins were phenominally high I think there was broad
acceptance of the ITU process outcomes, to a greater or lesser extent. With
the  recent shifts of a more deregulated approach in many
national  environments , coupled with the deployment of a disruptive
technology in the guise of the Internet and the related VOIP implications,
then the margins are declining and cost-based competition is becoming very
intense.  The outcome is that those who felt that the ITU was a
compromise  that was only marginally relevant and tenable appear to be now
positioning themselves into a more strident and vocal opposition to the ITU
structure and its outcomes, while those who saw such a venue as a means of
amassing a multi-national grouping with combined economic and political
pressure are increasing their political commitment to the ITU.

>If you look at this as an "us versus
>them crusade" (as some of you seem to want to make it), I think
>you're missing the point as industry, particularly the equipment
>manufacturers are already far down the convergence path.

It is not an 'us vs them' in the supply-side industry sense. The us vs them
is a far older and enduring division of a political nature at the level of
nation states, as I see it.

>And if one thinks that the policy makers and regulators aren't
>going to be involved in the public interest issues related to this
>convergence, that's a very nice dream but I'd suggest you take a
>look at slide 13 at
>http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/presentations/2004/enum-ftra-uganda-rs.pdf
>and prepare carefully your arguments...

There are many policy makers and many regulators, and they too  cover a
very broad diversity of perspectives. Some national economies have taken
the position that open competitive markets create economically efficient
supply systems where the consumer benefits ultimately  with a greater range
of efficiently priced goods and services and monopoly rentals are stripped
out. The winner is the national economy which is supported by efficiently
operated enabling communications services. i.e. efficient communications
network seed efficient information industries that in turn become
generators of national wealth in the international sector.  Others argue
that ubiquitous access to  telecommunications services across a diverse
national society  requires structural cross-subsidisation and regulatory
impost as the natural behaviour of the open market players of to maximise
profit, and there is a tendency to simply concentrate on providing services
to those with the highest capacity to pay. Some argue that universal access
to telecommunications services is not a natural outcome of private
investment and that public sector operation of telecommunications services
is  the only way to achieve these social objectives.

This national debate has, of course, spilled over into the international
sector, and much of the philosophy driving the support of ICANN and the ITU
can be traced back to these differing perspective on the manner in which
telecommunications services are provided  to consumers.

 From this perspective, in many ways the ITU and ICANN are merely vessels
for the expression of national interests. While the ITU appears to accept
and embraces this characterization in the form of its member states and its
manner of decision making, ICANN has a harder time in balancing this view
with its principles of primacy of private sector interests in policy
setting and decision making.

(If you find this of interest, and I readily admit that its not the most
exciting of topics, you may want to look at
http://ispcolumn.isoc.org/index.html and glance over the most recent 2
articles on Internet Governance.)

regards,

   Geoff Huston