[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group onInternetGovernance

Robert.Shaw at itu.int Robert.Shaw at itu.int
Tue Nov 16 23:12:42 EAT 2004

Sorry, you've been fed populist Internet myths. ITU does not control
what its Member States do. We can promote telecoms liberalization
and privatization as much as we want (which we do) but we don't control
MS policies. And do you think liberalized economies have telecom policy
sorted? I think you should take a closer look.

> ISPs saw an opportunity to become the resellers for wholesale telco
> bandwidth, in a form which had neither a call-setup fee nor a
> long-distance related component. The telcos didn't know what happened,
> and are still scrabbling to catch up.

Agreed, the industry is rapidly changing. But that's always true in
new technologies. Remember the British were the last to give up gas
lamps and go electric... the development of new communications technologies
is always the same story - we've seen this scenario play out again and
again since 1865...

> ISPs (especially many in Africa) have had to fight long, hard battles
> against the ITU's closed shop. I personally have worked in a developing
> country which had a monopoly telco, and seen first hand the real
> hardship it caused to ordinary people.

I'm sorry but you obviously have a complete misunderstanding of ITU. And
there are plenty of liberalized economies with quasi-monopolies & oligopolies.
Tilting at regulators is completely off-track, they're trying to make
ICTs widely available everywhere. They all have a different approach, what's
yours?

> I'm sure the ITU technical committees do good work, and I would not
> disparage that. But I believe it will take a long, long time
> for the policy legacy to be forgotten.

url pointers please to this "policy legacy"? you should be able to find
among the millions of documents on the ITU web site a single reference
backing your 'policy legacy' claim?

Robert