[afnog] FreeBSD freeze

Antonio Godinho antonio at nambu.uem.mz
Tue Nov 16 19:19:51 EAT 2004

Ok. Will try. I just need another 12 hours to download 5.3.....

To:             	"Antonio Godinho" <antonio at nambu.uem.mz>
Copies to:      	afnog at afnog.org
From:           	Geert Jan de Groot <geertj at nsrc.org>
Subject:        	Re: [afnog] FreeBSD freeze
Date sent:      	Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:07:57 +0100

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:36:21 +002 GMT  "Antonio Godinho" wrote:
> > My FreeBSD is version 5.2 and is a proxy server between an
> > internal network and the internet running NAT with ipfw. The
> > machine practically comes to a halt when it is bombarded with
> > traffic to port 445 from some virus, as soon as I disconnect the
> > internal NIC it becomes normal. Is there anything I can change to
> > avoid the machine stopping?
>
> 5.2 is kind of old and the 5 branch is a bit experimental,
> and some subsystems are inefficient in 5.2, so that something
> simple may cause an unexpected heavy load. 5.3 is better in that
> regard.
>
> I'd try upgrading. Not sure if you can run a 5.3 kernel on
> a 5.2 machine (things like ps are likely to break) but
> you might want to try that too just to see if switching to
> 5.3 would fix it for you.
> If it does, do upgrade the whole box, please.
>
> Geert Jan

Antonio Godinho
B.Sc., MCP, MCP+Internet, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
Address:Av. Julius Nyerere 947 3rd floor esq
Maputo - Mozambique
Phone  : 258-82-300392
e-mail : ANTONIO at nambu.uem.mz

An expert is one who knows more and more
about less and less until he knows absolutely
everything about nothing.