[afnog] FW: Deep study: The world's safest computing environment

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Thu Nov 4 15:28:55 EAT 2004

Hi,

On 4 Nov 2004, at 12:08, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:00:26AM +0000, ALAIN PATRICK AINA wrote:
>>> * And just maybe, FreeBSD admins are more competent than Linux
>>> admins on
>>> the average.
>>
>> Not maybe. It is an evidence for me
>
> I was trying not to offend Linux admins :-) In any case, this argument
> doesn't apply to Mac OS X which *is* a desktop O/S for non-tech-savvy
> users.

Well you've definitely offended at least one OS X user who also admins
a FreeBSD server and operates many. Most of the BSD admins I know
either do, or would love to use OS X....  OK, I take the point that
there's also a heap of OS X users out there that are possibly less
savvy than the majority of Windows users (because they can be), which
also goes a long way to proving the point about a really good start for
OS X (easy/hassle free to use AND more secure than FreeBSD).

> If Linux distros were built with the same care and attention to detail
> as
> OSX, then perhaps life would be happier (and more secure) for the Linux
> clan. Or maybe OSX just offers such a small target base that it's not
> worth
> the hackers' effort.

Or possibly considering that OS X uses FreeBSD/Darwin as 'the engine',
and the developers made some smart decisions about default config.....
makes it the most secure?

rgds,

Alan