[afnog] Freebsd5.2 installation issue (AIC-7902W controller)

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri May 28 12:03:34 EAT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:46:08PM +0200, Alain Ilunga wrote:
> I have an Adaptec AIC-7902W scsi controller, I cannot
> install freebsd 5.2 cause my hard disk is not
> detected. Where can I get freebsd driver for my
> controller? What will I do to make freebsd use this driver?

# man ahd

NAME
     ahd -- Adaptec PCI/PCI-X Ultra320 SCSI host adapter driver

DESCRIPTION
     This driver provides access to the SCSI bus(es) connected to Adaptec
     AIC7901 and AIC7902 host adapter chips.  These chips are found on many
     motherboards as well as the 29320 and 39320 Adaptec SCSI controller
     cards.
...snip

So I guess you just need to load the ahd module, which you can do at
installation time (even if from floppy, there is a third 'drivers.flp' disk)

If all else fails, then have an IDE disk for booting from, and use the SCSI
disks for data.