[afnog] AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

Phil Regnauld regnauld at starBSD.org
Mon Jun 28 10:29:52 EAT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:21:12AM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:

> In any case, SPF (at least in the form it was 2 months ago) does not protect
> brand names at all. It tries to prevent someone using your domain name as an
> envelope sender (MAIL FROM). That is all.

	That's what I meant.  It doesn't solve spam.  It protects your domain
	from being used...

> Envelope senders are never used except when handling undeliverable mail;
> upon successful delivery, the only thing which happens is it may be recorded
> in a Return-Path: header, which is normally hidden from the end-user.
>
> It doesn't affect what goes in the From: header at all, which is what the
> end-user actually sees.

	True, and it was always possible to see that Yahoo/Hotmail/Whatever
	wasn't the original sender in the first place.  This is just an extension
	of the CYA (Cover Your Assets) approach.

> Worse, SPF breaks common and legitimate uses of E-mail, like forwarding.

	No news.

> So in summary: it's a bad solution to a non-problem.

	We agree.