[afnog] setting permanent IPv6 address on linux

Mensah K. Agbessitse mensah.agbessitse at gstelecom.net
Wed Jul 21 12:47:40 EAT 2004

Subject: [afnog] setting permanent IPv6 address on linux

> I am trying to assign multiple IP addresses (both v4 and v6) on my box's
> (Redhat 9) NIC.
> Although I can add addresses and assign static routes using ifconfig eth0
> inet6 add command the system does not keep these settings after reboot: It
> only keeps the IPv4 addresses.
> The same holds true when I try to enable packet forwarding from the
> configuration files in
> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/ and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/. After reboot, my
> settings are being replaced by the defaults.
> Does anybody know how to make these settings permanent?

I hope this would solve your problem. Go to this site
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/network-linux.htm
If the link did not work then follow these instructions:
1-     Go to www.linuxhomenetworking.com
2-     Under the Main Topic, Click on Linux
3-     Click on Linux Networking and Go to Chapter 2

GS Telecom Africa Limited
No. 1, Thorburn Houses, Barnes Road
P.O. Box CT2920, Accra
Tel: +233 21 701 0015
Fax: +233 21 701 0456
Mobile : +233 244 312978 / +233 244 279 596)
E-mail : mensah.agbessitse at gstelecom.net
Web: www.gstelecom.net