[afnog] Need Whois server

Catherine Aloikin cathy at eahd.or.ug
Fri Aug 27 16:33:19 EAT 2004

Hello Franck,

To start with, you will actually need both the whois server and client for
your system to work fine. You can (w)get both from the ripe ftp site as
specified below:

Whois server: ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/dbase/software

I recommend ripe-dbase-3.2.0.tar.gz since the latest version is still
in beta form and may have a number of bug fixes.

Whois client: ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/tools

In this case, get ripe-whois-latest.tar.gz.

Once you have unpacked the server software, you will be able to check out
the INSTALL file.

Now, you might want to have some scripts connecting the registry web
interface to the whois database, such that for all modifications made to
a domain profile, the whois database is also updated concurrently. After
which status notifications should be sent to the database maintainer(s).

A web interface also comes in handy. Different folks need to be able to
query the databse without so much fuss, so there should be scripts
connecting the whois database web interface to the whois server.

Am not sure I know what you need exactly... so I hope this info helps you
in one way or other. Don't hesitate to contact me in case you have any
other queries.

Best Regards,
Cathie.

Catherine Aloikin,