[afnog] exim compilation error on Solaris

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Aug 15 10:25:10 EAT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 06:10:50PM +0100, Godfred Ofori Som wrote:

> Hello.
> i am having a problem compiling exim with mysql support on Solaris 9. below
> is the output of the error i encounter.

> mysql_fetch_lengths                 lookups/lookups.a(mysql.o)
> mysql_field_count                   lookups/lookups.a(mysql.o)
> mysql_num_fields                    lookups/lookups.a(mysql.o)
> mysql_use_result                    lookups/lookups.a(mysql.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to exim
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `exim'
> Current working directory /usr/exim/exim-4.41/build-SunOS5-5.9-sparc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `go'

I presume there is some more error message above this. I'd like to see the
complete set of errors please, starting from the line which actually
triggers the error (probably a line starting 'gcc', 'cc' or 'ld') because
that will say what's wrong.

But it looks like a linker problem trying to link in mysql support. Perhaps
it's unable to find libmysqlclient.a or something like that. Post the full
error message.

The fix might be something in Local/Makefile like

LOOKUP_INCLUDE=-I/usr/local/mysql/include
LOOKUP_LIBS=-L/usr/local/mysql/lib

but that depends on where you got your mysql installation from.

Of course, if you don't want to use mysql lookups then just set

LOOKUP_MYSQL=no

in Local/Makefile.